Thursday, January 29, 2015

Streetscapes Installation at One Main Auburn

This is the space I started with at One Main in Auburn. Very big and very empty. No street appeal to get people to stop and look at the space. There is a lot going on in Downtown Auburn right now and this storefront is at a great location. I was very excited to create a site specific piece of art for it if only temporarily. But the scale of the installation was a challenge. I'm used to creating much smaller pieces. But this was going to be fun.

Auburn StreetScape is a program that seeks to enliven and activate otherwise empty storefront windows in Auburn's Historic Downtown by providing temporary space to artists. Auburn StreetScapes is a partnership between the City of Auburn and Auburn Downtown Association.




My inspiration for the installation:In the Pacific Northwest the salmon is a keystone species supporting wildlife. The bodies of salmon represent a transfer of nutrients from the ocean to the forest ecosystem. Land animals act as ecosystem engineers, capturing salmon and carrying them into adjacent wooded areas. There they deposit nutrient-rich scatterings to the riparian woodlands. This nutritional transfer is vitally important to our community and was the inspiration for my work.

I started building the components out of plywood and perforated aluminum.





Then I brought everything to the site for assembly.I spent an entire day getting it together and messing with the lighting.








The results of my efforts







No comments:

Post a Comment